Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I just started working out again after 6 months. My elbow

Customer Question

I just started working out again after 6 months. My elbow has a grind to it while doing over hand pull ups. When doing bicep curls there is nothing. There really isn't any pain I ice just because. Please help
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. So the grind sound while doing pullups is probably olecranon bursitis, which is a bursa that is inflamed, so with flexion it rubs against the olecranon bone. I would ask if you wear an elbow support, does the sound and sensation of grinding go away? This is unlikely to be a problem with the radial head, as you have no pain. If you wish, a doctor can inject the area about the bursa with a little kenalog (glucocorticoid type steroid to reduce inflammation) and your problem should go away. Please get back to me to discuss. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm an avid weight lifter. Except for this last period of time off what are the best supliments for joints?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

http://ard.bmj.com/content/early/2015/02/13/annrheumdis-2014-206792.long

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

HI. There is some skepticism regarding the use of supplements for joint health. I checked the literature, and the only supplement that has undergone rigorous clinical trials is glucosamine/chondroitin. Above is the more recent European trial where it is matched up against celecoxib (Celebrex) for joint pain and movement parameters. It did very well, as well as taking a strong cox2 inhibitor daily. I know that the American Academy of Orthopedics recommends it for generalized joint pain as related to osteoarthritis. So I would suggest you try it if you haven't already. I would also say that anything not FDA approved or approved as a "food supplement" is risky, maybe I'm too conservative but I know the FDA trials and it is difficult, hence all these companies don't try. Please get back to me if you have questions, or rate my service if satisfied as that is how I am compensated for my work Click on the stars. Dr Frank