Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

After a bad fall free surgery my right foot is numb and I

Customer Question

After a bad fall free surgery my right foot is numb and I fall a lot surgeon says nothing can be done
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. can you tell me something about your injury, what is the reason for your right foot being numb? is the entire foot numb, or a part? do you have a back injury or an injury to the leg effecting the nerves? Please get back to me and ask a question, I will then return to answer it. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had back a neck fusions in 2014 due to arthits then I fell 6 months later right foot is numb by toes mostly but lately I have been falling a lot cause foot is so numb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had c rays a eng and me I Dr says nothing got moved when I fell on black ice this has been going on since March of this year
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Your numbness in the toes could be the L5 nerve root in your lower back that was injured when you slipped and fell on the ice, compressing the L4/5 vertebral disc and damaging the nerve. The numbness would be the lateral side of your foot and the toes sparing the great toe. Up on top of the foot as well. OR this could be from compression of the superficial peroneal nerve or common peroneal nerve which is on the lateral or outside surface just below your knee. This can get compressed giving you that sort of numbness, and also effecting your ability to bring your foot up towards your head when standing. You can test the nerve by trying to walk on your heels and noting how high your toes can get up off the ground. If your effected leg, the foot doesn't come up as high off the ground when walking on your heels, then it could be the common peroneal nerve and you have what is called a "foot drop" which makes you trip, causing you to fall. I hope that helps, please get back to me if you have questions and I will return to answer, or if satisfied, please rate this service as that is how I am compensated for my work. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

as you are a deposit client, I will set up the stars so you can rate my service when satisfied. Please remember to rate by clicking on the appropriate star. we can still discuss this until you are fully satisfied. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can this be fixed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I run a small horse farm and red to know what to do. Next
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
The first step is to localize the injury. With diagnosis you can talk about treatment and prognosis or how things will turn out. Without any of that, you are lost in medicine, forced to go with trial and error. Not a good situation. So you need to see a neurologist. If you have obvious symptoms of foot drop and falls, and numbness complaints, I don't know why your surgeon would suggest nothing can be done, did he give you a diagnosis of your problem? A Neurologist will look at the "wiring" that is responsible for providing sensation from that foot, and giving it strength. The test is called an EMG, and if positive to suggest a back injury, then you need the MRI. You may have had all that? Let me know. As for can it be fixed, you cannot say without the diagnosis. Dr Frank