Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am achy in my joints and legs and neck all the time now

Customer Question

I am achy in my joints and legs and neck all the time now and tired I had blood work up which showed no arthritis which is crazy considering my bone scan did show some at my neck and my lower spine I have a bad neck from correct since I now have osteoarthritis in my foot it is hard to get out of bed in the morning I'm only 60 this is going on for a few months what are the possible options do you think it could be fibromyalgia or rheumatoid arthritis or just I don't know
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Do you have the full report of the bone scan?

Has there been any additional imaging studies done of the neck or lower spine, such as an MRI?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

The most common type of arthritis is osteoarthritis, or degenerative arthritis, which is due to wear and tear within the musculoskeletal system. Not only can it affect the foot, it can also affect the neck and lower spine, as well as most joints in the body. It is not surprising that blood work is negative, because blood work is usually negative in people with osteoarthritis. Blood work is better at detecting certain types of arthritis that have a greater inflammatory component, such as rheumatoid arthritis.

However, it is actually more complex than simply whether osteoarthritis is present everywhere that you have pain. There are different manifestations that can occur in different locations, and the primary concern in someone with back pain is whether the degenerative changes is also affecting the discs in the spine, and particularly whether the discs may be pressing on the nerves as they exit the spine. Advanced imaging studies, such as an MRI, would be the usual method for identifying the extent of any disc involvement

In addition, it is also possible that fibromyalgia could be present. Fobromyalgia can occur as a complication of any condition that causes chronic musculoskeletal pain. It would be the findings on exam that would raise concern that fibromyalgia could also be present.

So, with negative blood work, it is unlikely that rheumatoid arthritis is present. The most likely type of arthritis is osteoarthritis, although the exact manifestations could be better defined by advanced imaging. It is also possible that fibromyalgia could be present, although it would be the findings on exam that would support whether that diagnosis is also present.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.