Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

I was playing tennis last night. Jumped up to get a ball,

Customer Question

Customer: I was playing tennis last night. Jumped up to get a ball, landed hard on my right foot. Felt a sharp pain, have been limping ever since (unless I walk slowly). cannot do a heel raise on my right foot anymore. Have slight swelling and very tender to the touch on the inside of my calf. What could that be?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not really. The inside of my right calf is very tender to the touch, slightly swollen, and I have no strength in it anymore. I cannot lift my heel and do a calf raise on that side. It will not lift. What could that be and what do I do about it?
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Neurology Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I don't think you can help me. I will go and see an orthopedic doctor, I guess. Not really sure who to see.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. There are a couple of things which can be the cause for your pain and tenderness. The first one is muscular trauma which can cause the pain as well the difficulty in movement. Its possible that this is a muscular strain/spasm which can present in this manner. This can be treated in most cases with the help of ice/heat on the tender location for upto 15-20 minutes at a time for upto 3-4 times a day, OTC painkillers like motrin or aleve can be useful, sometimes you might even need flexeril which is a muscle relaxant. Now in most cases this should resolve within a week or two however in some cases prescription strength muscle relaxants which i have mentioned above may be needed.

Another possibility is that you could have torn your calf muscle which is why you have the tenderness and the pain in the region and the inability to lift the heel. This can be determined on the basis of a clinical examination. The treatment depends on the grade of the tear, grade I and II tears just need rest and elevation along with painkillers. Grade III and IV tears may need surgery. A MRI may be needed to determine the grade of the injury.

Lastly you could have damaged your nerve which is responsible for lifting the heel. This can be detected again with a clinical examination along with specialized tests like nerve conduction studies. The treatment is with the help of surgery.

now you are right in considering a visit to the orthopedic surgeon, this is teh best way to get to the root of the problem. In the meantime you can elevate the limb at home, ice it, use OTC painkillers until you can get to see the orthopedic surgeon.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Hello again, do you have anymore questions? if not, please leave a positive rating as until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can always ask follow up questions even after you have rated me