Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I just have plantar release surgery 2 months ago. I now have

Customer Question

I just have plantar release surgery 2 months ago. I now have sensitive sometimes burning pain near the Achilles in the ankle
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. You have hyperesthesia/dysesthetic sensations now on your ankle, the reason would be the fine nerve endings that were cut and are now growing or sprouting and they are hypersensitive because they have not modulated their signals. With time this problem should resolve. If it is really bothersome, you can use capsaicin creme on the area directly. Capsaicin is the extract of the pepper plant, it is available at any pharmacy. It depletes Substance P which is the pain neurotransmitter. When first applied, it will increase the burning sensation, but with time it will disappear. You can also use viscous lidocaine or lidocaine patches which will numb out the area. I cannot examine you, but if the sprouting of nerve endings gets out of control, you can form a benign nerve tumor called a neuroma, which can give you the same effect, but it is a point area instead or along the incision line.

Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help. If satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my answer as that is how they compensate for this work. thanks *****