Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

My husband had migraines .5 years on a daily basis, allergy

Customer Question

My husband had migraines for 2.5 years on a daily basis, allergy related migraines that caused pain behind his eyes, behind his forehead, often with cluster headaches that went from the base of his scull to the side of his head with stabbing knife pains. It caused pain and constant pressure, he would shut down and not function. The Rochester NY Neurologist had him on Topermate daily and shots when the the pain was unbearable. With the only other help, move to AZ or FL.
We have been in Fl since mid Aug. and no more migraines. Still allergies, but no where near as bad. He is off Topermate, and going to college.
The problem is, he feels like he has brain damage from the 2.5 years with migraines. I am giving him supplement for cognitive issues, nerve healing, but with little effect. We have no insurance and self pay is $250-$600. Can you advise?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will reply after review of your statement. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Oculocephalic migraine, otherwise known as cluster headache has some stereotypic features.

It happens only in men and can have sinus symptoms as the trigger for the cluster event. There is a genetic predisposition, so it runs in male members of families. One interesting way to treat is to attack the trigger specifically

which you have done by moving to florida. Another way is to abort the trigger, if it is nasal symptoms which incite the autonomic nervous system in the sinus area. Using viscous 2% lidocaine gel on a long qtip has been found to stop the attacks. Cluster is a severe migraine with major vasoconstrictive features on the cerebral meningeal vessels during the attack. It can cause ischemic changes, almost a stroke like condition to the brain. And brain MRI will reveal punctate T2 weighted lesions in the corona semiovalis area of the brain in cluster. Studies have shown that stroke risk over the lifetime of a migraine patient is higher than demographically balanced control populations.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

So there is a possibility that cognitive impairment did result from years of cluster headache. You could measure that quantitatively by doing neurocognitive assessments with a behavioural psychologist. It is called neuropsychometric testing. But I don't understand your statement about the $250-600 charge? what is that for? What supplements are you speaking about? I will try to help after your response. Dr Frank