Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I am curtainly a patient of Wei's. I am taking Plavix 75 and

Customer Question

I am curtainly a patient of Timothy Wei's. I am taking Plavix 75 and I think I am bruising too much. I have a black eye and am bruising on my ankle from doing clam shell exercises. I only seem to be bruising on the left side of my body. I was wondering if I could cut back on the amount of Plavix I am taking by either cutting the pill in half or taking it every other day. my name is***** is 4/20/1942
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Are you taking Plavix for stroke risk or a history of cardiac ischemia? It depends on the reason you are taking Plavix. Did you start on aspirin alone and was then switched to Plavix. If you have serious abnormal bleeding, you can go to the ER and reverse the anti-platelet aggregation effects of Plavix, but that is expensive, so you have to ask yourself if it is truly needed.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

In terms of skipping doses of Plavix, the drug works by inhibiting platelets irreversibly, that is to say for the life of the platelet it will not be sticky. That is 7 to 10 days, so if you skip doses you will definitely be able to see an effect on your platelets, but some will be not effected by the drug. Skipping to every other day is probably ok, but you might still have some bruising under the skin. Please get back to me to discuss. There is not a smaller pill size than 75 mg a day. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied that you received the information you need. JA does not pay the expert unless you accept my answer by clicking on the stars. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer as JA does not pay me and keeps your money. It does not effect you financially, only I a paid. Please let me know if you cannot see the stars to rate and I will try to inform JA. Thanks *****