Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

A year ago I had cat scan brain, 'cause I was afraid I

Customer Question

A year ago I had cat scan for my brain, 'cause I was afraid I have a brain cancer. The cat scan showed my brain was perfectly fine. Lately I've noticed some coordination problems, should I repeat cat scan?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. A CT or cat scan is really to exclude strokes, tumors, bleeding into the brain from a variety of sources, or some anatomic problem with brain development. If you feel you have problems with coordination, and have no known reason, then one thing you do know is that a CT scan is unlikely to show you anything new after a year. You would request a brain MRI scan that shows changes in the physiology of the brain, it is much more sensitive to pick up changes related to MS for example or infectious/metabolic problems in the brain. That is what I can tell you from here about imaging.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

If you have a history that you want to share as you think relates to your incoordination, let me know. When did it start, anything associated with it? Does it come and go, any changes in vision, hearing, etc? Please get back to me if you wish to discuss, or rate my service if satisfied with this answer. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am taking antidepressants because of anxiety. Just I've noticed I'm kinda clumsy and if I would be looking at my phone while having breakfast, I would touch my lip with sandwich not getting it straight in mouth or just hit myself accidentally going by table or situations like that. Feeling dizzy sometimes. I'm scared I have some kind or neurological disease.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

ok. So any double vision, loss of vision, facial numbness, hearing loss or tinnitus (ringing). How about your language, any dysarthria (slurred speech). Do you have a history of alcoholism or drugs? Any history of demyelinating disease in your family? Any familial neurological disease? Can you walk a straight line, one foot in front of the other, arms at your sides, looking straight ahead, can you do it backward. can you move the fingers on both hands synchronously like playing a piano without any clumsiness? Let me know. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

also what antidepressant?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My sister has multiple sclerosis, no other neurological disease in family. I think I can do everything you named. I do want to spread arms for balance when trying to walk the way you wrote.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

ok, so I would recommend you see a neurologist with that story and your family history. I cannot diagnose you from here with any accuracy, but your complaints, especially about the sandwich and the walking test you just did suggests you could have a condition effecting your cerebellum, the part of the brain in the rear that controls balance and coordination. Certainly with your family history, you should have a neurological exam and if any deficits are noted, especially during the eye movement part of the exam, you should get an MRI of your brain. If you have any questions please ask them and I will reply or rate my answer if satisfied. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm terrified
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

hello. As mentioned there is no way I could diagnose your condition with any accuracy from here online. You do need an evaluation, but it could be anxiety as easily as an organic condition. I would recommend you see a neurologist to sort that out. Good Luck to you, please get back to me if you have question, or have results on your MRI and do not understand the text. I can explain it to you. Dr Frank