Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I was wondering if I am not a fan of sports drinks, could I

Customer Question

I was wondering if I am not a fan of sports drinks, could I just add some Morton lite salt instead into my water which has in one serving 290 mg of Sodium and 350 mg of Potassium. Plus it has 40% daily dose of iodine, which I've heard is also good for
Migraines prophylaxis. Is this a reasonable option to get electrolytes? Thank You!
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely, you can add NaCl to your sportsdrinks, but I like people to not use more than 1/2 normal saline strength when working out as it is too much electrolyte. A rough measure is one half teaspoon per liter. I hope that helps. Please get back t me to discuss, dr Frank