Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Thank you response DR Do you think my consumption of alcohol

Customer Question

Thank you for your response DR Frank Do you think my consumption of alcohol during pregnancy could have caused the changes/abnormalities to my daughter's brain? Thank you Aggie
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

HI. I am attaching a webpage on Fragile X. It is a very common condition, although more common in boys than girls. The page lists some facial features that sometimes apply. Does your daughter have those things, does she act impulsively and without consideration (based on what you told me earlier?)..

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/fragile-x-syndrome

Alcohol has a variety of effects on the developing fetus. The most common is cleft palate, but neural tube defects are very common due to folic acid deficiency. This causes spina bifida, a condition where the spinal cord is imperfectly formed leading to myelomeningoceles, and other abnormalities. This does not sound like your daughter, so I would say unlikely that your alcohol was the reason for her problem. I hope that helps. please get back to me with questions or rate my answer if satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Aggie, if you wish for scientific journal information regarding these statements just let me know and I can paste in some articles. But personally I would not feel guilty in any way for what you described with your child. There is a fragile x support group online and you might want to discuss with them your problems as they come about. Having a child with cognitive impairment is never easy. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

cc