Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I am 63 have a story of cluster migraine HA. Now

Customer Question

I am 63 have a history of cluster migraine HA. Now fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis after two severe accidents that led to surgery on rotator cuff and hip. knees.
My BP has been zigzagging for the past two years. My physician just retired and a new young Dr in the same practice is now my GP- today he wants to "modernize my meds" and put me on a beta blocker! Does this mean I'm on BP meds and do folks ever get off?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Beta blockers are blood pressure medications, but they are also used for headache prevention. You might benefit in two ways from the use of such a medication. Beta blockers have also been shown to prevent heart attacks in some individuals. Longterm blood pressure control can also reduce the risk of stroke and damage to organs such as the kidneys and eyes.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Most folks stay on their beta blocker if well tolerated, as the short term and long term benefits can be many. If one is able to reduce one's blood pressure through some other measures (i.e. weight loss, exercise, stress reduction) one can get off the beta blocker over time. It is not necessarily taken for life.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Do you have any additional information or questions you would like to go over?