Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

This all started today afternoon. I have a weird painful

Customer Question

This all started today afternoon. I have a weird painful sensation in my left arm. It feels like it's around my triceps area and my shoulders. When I cough I can feel my entire left arm in pain. It's a weird pain too, it feels like a tight squeeze or like the pain you get when you touch bruise. My left arm will get a little numb sometimes too. Its a really annoying kind of pain. I have no chest pain and no history of heart conditions.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

What activity were you engaged in when the symptoms started?

Have you tried taking any medicines for this?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

The nature of the activity being done when the symptoms started may provide a clue regarding the cause of the pain.

The fact that the pain is made worse by coughing would suggest that the underlying problem is actually in the neck or upper chest and affecting the nerves that travel to the arm, rather than a problem within the arm, itself.

In a young adult, it would be more common for the underlying problem to be a strain/sprain or some minor inflammation. Although an examination would help to delineate the underlying cause, it would be fine to first try an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It also would be fine to apply ice to the neck, upper chest, and shoulder for about 15-20 minutes, 2-3 times per day.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.