Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have been having twitching in my legs and arms few months

Customer Question

Hi I have been having twitching in my legs and arms for a few months now, they don't last long and can happen day or night.
I am able to walk fine and swallow and speak ok.
Sometimes my shoulder will jerk or hand or foot even.
I had a mri done a month ago and the results came back inconclusive.
Here is what the results said
Mild nonspecific white matter changes most in keeping with mild microangiopathic changes. A myelination process would be less likey but cannot be excluded. Similar white matter change can be seen in patients with chronic migraines.
I have not had a headache in about 7 years but I did have a few aura migraines years back.
My anxiety is up a bit because of these findings, at this point I am waiting to get into see a neurologist but no date has been set because I live in Canada it takes a month or more to get seen.
I am worried abound ALS and MS what do you think of my chances of having either of these diseases.
Thansks
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will be back to answer your question after a review of the statement

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi. You asked some very good questions. Let's see if we can put our minds together and figure it out. First. Since you have classic migraine with aura and then maybe a family history (?) then the MRI changes can be that solely. These changes are resultant of a combined process. Hypertension hypercholesterolemia smoking red meat. Family history of stroke/heart attack. All correlate to these changes, they are nonspecific. Could you have MS? Given your symptoms possibly but not likely. Age distribution for ms is bimodel with one hump on the graph in adolescence and another especially in male peaking around 40 so at 59 you are probably past the hump. Could this be ALS? Possibly as well. For now this is a diagnosis of exclusion. Fasciculations or twitching is a part but there are many more common things that can cause them and I don't know if you have sensory symptoms not expected in ALS or focal weakness(?). Any family history neuro degenerative diseases like Alzheimer's or Parkinson's? Get back to me and add as much pertinent info as you can. Dr frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

i cannot answer more now until you rate my answer as you are a deposit client. So please hit the accept by clicking on the stars and we can continue the discussion Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

cc