Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have been experiencing tingling in my head months then

Customer Question

I have been experiencing tingling in my head for several months then today my right ear started ringing and feels full.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. The most common cause we for your symptoms is otitis media or Middle ear infection. Do you have sinus symptoms? Tinnitus is persistent ringing in the ear associated with fullness. This can progress to vertigo. Called. BPPV for benign paroxysmal and positonal vertigo. Do you have or had a cold? You need the otologic exam and some antihistamines for symptomatic treatment. Get back to me to discuss. Ask questions and I will respond. Dr frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the quick response, I had a bad cold back in January and I have had tingling in random places on my head ever since.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sinus symtoms
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I don't see an option for text messages or email. I can call

You if you accept and put your number into the offer text box. Dr frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really don't won't to pay another $50, I was just trying to do text to make it easier to talk
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Yes this is cumbersome. How can I help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just wondering if you had another opinion on what I might have , it started 9 months ago with the tingling. It's sometimes in my face but sometimes on back and sides of my head
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Tingling or paresthesis of the scalp is usually the result of continuous contraction of the skeletal muscles frontalis. Sup temper plasmid and occipitalis which are all connected via the aponeurosis or fibrous sheath under muscle. As they pull sensory nerve endings are activated and you get the tingling response. It can be part of a tension headache and medications like fiorecet which contains butalbitol is helpful in relieving the tingling. There are other conditions like hyperthyroidism or hypertension where this weekend is reported to occur.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Do you get headaches?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get ice pick headaches sometimes but no regular headache, it only last 5 to 30 seconds
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

So the ice pick are another indication that you have excessive muscular contraction. The ice pick is muscular spasm. You could consider Botox injections to the scalp muscles to relax them. It would last three months.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's something I'm just gonna have to live with? I was concerned maybe a tumor or multiple sclerosis might be the problem of my tingling?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Not MS as this is part of muscular contraction not a dysfunction in the CNS. Brain tumor is possible but highly unlikely. It also eventually is linked to CNS deficits and the is a positional quality in that you note it upon awakening or it wakens you and goes away with standing Dr frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok, most of the time I notice the tingling when I am sitting down, but not always, most of the time if i scratch my head it will go away. I'm going to the dr to get checked out, I was just very concerned it was something serious.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi. It is irritated nerves I your scalp similar to ice pick phenomenon. If you are going ask for a histamine level and a CBC with differential to look at your relative eosinophil count as this could be allergic. Also ask him about coverage for Botox for tension ice pick headache. And a neurologist that does it. You can contact allergan pharmaceutical for a local doc as well. Please get back to me with questions anytime. Remember to rate my service if satisfied as that's how I am compensated for my work. Click on the stars. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

cc