Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

When I bend my head down I get a tingling sensation in my

Customer Question

When I bend my head down I get a tingling sensation in my legs. What could this be?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

The symptom you are describing is called a L'hermittes sign

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

It comes from irritation of the cervical spinal cord and/or the nerves exiting the cervical spine

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a fever or anything else? Has your neck muscles been stiff?

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

L'hermittes is really shooting pain down your back to your legs that comes from having MS. This is not what you describe but this problem is seen in a variety of conditions where you have cervical nerve root irritation.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Please ask questions and I will return to discuss this issue with you. If satisfied with this answer please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for my work. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have shooting pain in my neck or back. I only feel the sensation(which is not painful) when I bend my neck/ head down. My neck and back have been a little sore recently. But this feeling is different than anything I've ever felt before. I'm never because everything I've read relates this to MS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm nervous because everything I've read relates this to MS. I have recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and I am taking levothyroxin(spelling???). Could this be a side affect or cause from my hypothyroid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No fever! Yes, neck muscles have been stiff.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I am on the east coast us and it is Sunday. I will be back in around 3 hours to discuss this further. This could all be related to chronic cervical spasm but you need an evaluation get back to me with what you have done to date and the results and I can suggest a diagnostic direction to get the reason. It certainly doesn't have to be ms. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

cc