Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have a past story of chemotherapeutic neuropathy. I am a

Customer Question

I have a past history of chemotherapeutic neuropathy. I am a 65 y.o.female with formerly very strong calf muscles. Within the last 6 months I noticed that one of my left calf muscle has atrophied to what looks like a very slim calf muscle. Could the neuropathy and the atrophy be related? What else should I be looking for? What kind of neurologist should I be looking for?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi. The best trained neurologists for your problem are the neuroncologists at an academic center. That is to assume that this is a result purely of a nutritional neuropathy resultant from chemotherapy or a auto immune response to chemo where your nerves were attacked and made more vulnerable to injury. The neuro oncologist will do very specific blood studies looking for antibody responses to myelin for example. Not would also ask you if the calf muscle loss could be secondary to back injury in the setting of vulnerable nerves. Get back to me to discuss or rate my service if satisfied by clicking on the stars. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

cc