Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

OK so 5 days ago I work up and was almost in a Paralyzed

Customer Question

OK so 5 days ago I work up and was almost in a Paralyzed state. I am in so much pain I went to the ER where they were not exactly sure what it was but they put me on muscle relaxers and Mobic. My right arm will hardly move at all and the pain is by far worse in the morning. It feels as if it locks up with a knifing pain and no strength and feels like it is asleep. The pain runs all the way down to my thumb which is so swollen they had to cut my ring off. Before you start thinking it is my back or neck, my LEFT ankle and foot is killing me and very swollen. It feels like a burning poker pokes it right below the big joint of your big toe on the side. I can hardly walk as both knees on the OUTER sides only hurt so bad. If I cough or take a deep breath my ribs feel as if they are broken. My SED rate came back at 49. My white blood cell count was slightly off and it showed dehydration. Which I drink a lot of water. I woke up this morning and couldn’t get out of bed the pain is so bad I cant even roll over. Trying to get out of my car I pull myself up with the door and can hardly do that. I just want an answer so bad or a suggestion. I am seeing a RA doc on Tues, but I honestly don’t know how I will be able to wait that long. IF you have any suggestions even if bad or scary, please share them. I know I cant keep going on like this. Again, the mornings are by far the worse.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will respond after reading your statement.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi. It certainly does sound rheumatological so you are doing the right thing but the sudden nature of this at maximal severity is concerning. You could have a variant of RA called polymyalgia rheumatica with the elevated sed rate. But I would ask you about other inflammatory arthropathies that could be infectious like Lyme disease or viral arthropathies.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Or other severe inflammatory joint problems like do you have a family history of gout? Or anything else like skin lesions for psoriatic arthritis or lupus? Get back to me with answers and I will try to get you a better answer or rate my service if satisfied. Ft Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

cc