Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have intense pain on the right side of my back in the area

Customer Question

I have intense pain on the right side of my back in the area just above the waist. I thought it was just from sleeping funny but hot showers and aleve have not helped much. Had this for about 3 days now. does not hurt when I am laying down, mostly when making certain movements as I walk, reach etc
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello welcome to JA. I will respond after reading your statement. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

That area is known as your flank. (?). So if that is the case you need to exclude causes other than muscular spasm. One entity is renal stones or urinary tract infection? Any pain on urination?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No pain other than what I described ..pain seems to be deep inside not surface pain
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Yes. The deep pain suggests urinary tract or intestinal pain. If you can have someone pound on it with the heel of his hand and that makes it worse than again urinary or bladder. If this is muscular skeletal and deep it involved hip flexor muscles like psoas and iliacus called iliopsoas. You can test those by standing and bringing your knee to your chest. If that increases your pain and you are tight that is your dx. Let me know. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No additional pain either way however intense twinges as I move afterwards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Movements to left are painless..movements to right are definitely feeling pain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pain seems to depend on movements.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I believe you mentioned a response to muscle relaxers so it is muscular skeletal. Do you have a lumbar MRI to look at your vertebral neuroforamina? This would be a high lumbar radiculopathy at L 2. Dr frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Without going to the MRI now..how long with present hot shower and Aleve regiment can I go before I really need to go further?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would the MRI determine
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

The key to nerve injury is if you start getting weak as a result of nerve damage it can be irreversible. An emg can determine that. See a neurologist for exam and testing. I hope that answers your question. Please remember to rate if satisfied or ask more questions. Dr frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

cc