Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

What problems could account and upper arm pain that feels

Customer Question

What problems could account for shoulder and upper arm pain that feels like it is deep in the bone?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. The most common cause at your age group is cervical stenosis like change caused by osteoarthritis. This process is infammatory within the bone and causes a remodeling of specific bone structures. Called DOC diffuse osteogenic complex or more informally bone spurs, they form at critical areas near the origin and pathway of motor and sensory mixed nerves coming from the spine. You can have degeneration and if exposed to severe strain disc herniation causing manly impingement of the nerve root either C4,C5 in your case or a combined effect of both roots and upper parts of the brachial plexus in pulling trauma from motor vehicle accidents etc.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

This can all be imaged with MRI. A neurologist can also examine nerve function with EMG or MR Neurography. Please get back to me with questions specific to your case if I can help or if satisfied please rate my service by clicking on the stars. Dr Frank