Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I had a temporal-amygdalectomy in 2000. No I'm told I've

Customer Question

I had a temporal-amygdalectomy in 2000. No I'm told I've lost 50% of my hearing in both ears! Is this related to the surgery
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

. Every anterior temporal lobectomy is individualized to consider "eloquent" cortex. Also if you had depth electrode recording prior to surgery area of epigenicity is determined as so the margins for surgical excision. So without your surgical records it is hard to know for certain. Most likely the answer is no, that your auditory cortex of your brain was not close to the area removed.

Now, i woulf first ask you what type of hearing loss you were told you have. Sensorineural loss comes from brain involvement. Conductive hearing loss comes from problems specific to the ear. Auditory cortex in the brain gets bilateral innervation which means you have to have damage to both temporal lobes to have significant hearing loss.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

If you have your audiometry records please paste in the impression and i will be able to tell you more. But simply put from here surgery is probably not responsible. Dr frank