Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Ive noticed few days ago a group of painful, sore blisters

Customer Question

Ive noticed few days ago a group of painful, sore blisters on my right buttock. I thought it's a reaction after shaving, so I threaten the area with anti bacterial ointment, it looks better now and it's not as painful as before, but now I feel pain from the hip area to my foot, it feels almost like a hot rod inside my right leg. Can shingles appear on buttocks and can cause the pain in whole leg down to the foot?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Yes. If the blisters appeared like bunches of grapes. Clear raised fluid filled centers with vermillion (red) ring shaped bases ( probably hard for you to see) then it could be shingles. If on your posterior buttocks it is S1 or S 2 distribution and since it effects that nerve root you might have pain and tingling on sole heel and or above posterior ankle.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

It could also be. HSV 1 or 2. ( herpes type 1 or 2) if you are sexually active as a primary or recurrent secondary infection. You would have lymphnode enlargement in that case. Maybe in the groin area. Just sending possibilities. It could also be folliculitis (hair shaft infection) with cellulitis if it is all red and swollen but you didn't describe that. Get back with questions or rate me if satisfied by clicking on the stars. Dr Frank