Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have a very sensitive to the touch mastoid bone on the

Customer Question

Hi, I have a very sensitive to the touch mastoid bone on the left side behind my ear. Pain radiates to my head with severe headache type symptoms and my left eye is watering repeatedly from the pain. At times it is excruciating.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like mastoiditis an inflammatory problem in the mastoid sinus behind your ear. It comes with allergies leading to ear infections mostly viral and eye drainage. It can be other things. The beginning of bells palsy or otitis media an ear canal bacterial infection. Do you have a fever chills etc. any history of alleged and sinus disease? Dr frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I do not have a cold or cough and just now after five days starting to feel some mild ear pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel a swelling in the left side if my head, also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How is this typically treated? medication?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Response?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

This is most likely viral otitis. It is treated symptomatically with otc decongestant if you are afebrile. A doc needs to look in your ear canal and give antibiotics. Or for more severe do a myringotomy and place a stent or tube in your ear drum to drain. If you have a lot of pressure its time for a drop in cliniic or er. Write back if i can help. Dr frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Get back to me if f you get info you dont understand and i can try to help. Please remember to rate my answer by clicking on the stars. Thanks Dr Frank