Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Is a sore jaw and numbing a sign of a stroke or heart attack

Customer Question

is a sore jaw and numbing a sign of a stroke or heart attack
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I go have it checked by the ER or wait until tomorrow when my Dr. is available?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

To answer this question classically a sore mandible or jaw with neck discomfort under the jaw can be associated with heart attack or angina. Angina is pain caused by General reduction in perfusion or blood flow to the heart muscle and can relate to eventual heart attack. You can also have rare stroke like attacks with manefestation of jaw pain. Much more common is tooth or sinus pain with perception of jaw pain. You need a doctor to sort it out. If you have a history or family history of heart attack or stroke and this is unexpected then forget this and go to the er or call 911

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have way more numbness above my jaw line and into my hair line. Just a little sore jaw. Any thoughts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, it is my cheek bone where I am having the numbness and into my hair line.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I will put out the option for me to calll will be available after church around noon. Dr frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will not be available for a phone call as I will be at church. Can you just answer my last questions please. The numbness is on my cheek bone and goes up into my hairline and down towards my jaw. The jaw is just a bit sore. Should I be overly concerned and go to the ER?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is my question going to be answered?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I do not have enough information to diagnose your problem. Your past history current medical history etc. i cannot diagnose here. I can answer your qusetion which i did about jaw pain. Your sensation of pain in the face could be localized as th sinus type pain or related to nerve injury such as trigeminal neuralgia. I hope that helps. As I mentioned earlier if this is new unexpected and sudden it could be serious and needs urgent attention. Dr frank