Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Not sure you are the right expert... My father is 72. He is

Customer Question

Not sure you are the right expert...
My father is 72. He is a functional alcoholic and has smoked forever. He has a horrible cough but does not use oxygen. He had high blood pressure. He has intentionally lost weight and is definitely height and weight appropriate. Question: he has had persistent hiccups for 10 days. He lives in UK and I'd waiting for results of lab work, chestvx-ray, etc. what might be going on?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will reply after reading your statement

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

As a neurologist i can state that there are central neurological processes strokes involving the brainstem that can cause hiccups that are continual and hard to manage. But most hiccups are the result of irritation to the diaphragm at the area where the esophagus perforates. The chestxray is to look at the diaphragm also to look for paralysis that can follow irritation.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Get back to me to discuss. Dr frank