Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Over the past two weeks my husband has been getting sharp

Customer Question

Over the past two weeks my husband has been getting sharp stabbing pains in his ear.
The pain happens suddenly and lasts for about a minute or so. He does have a history of ear infections (with pain) but the sharp stabbing pain is something he has not experienced before. Can you provide any insight and advice on next steps (i.e. tests etc).
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello welcome to JA

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

So the medical term this problem is otalgia if there is a constant pain as associated with ear infections tumors of the ear or aurocular canal etc.

If that has been excluded through examination and recemt treatment and he is now having shooting pain the diagnosis is otodynia. This type of pain can be lancinating and effecting specific areas of the ear. The area affected can gove a hint as to which sensory nerve branch is effected.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

So where specifically does he feel the pain? Does it move or radiate anywhere?

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Since you are not online at this time i will try to answer your question. Please get back to me if you have further questions. As mentioned the initial exam which is a head and neck exam bt an ent may be followed by rhinoscopy and laryngoscopy to visualize tumors that have been shown to be as high as 18%

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Another source for pain is eustachian tube spasm and a variety of neuralgias or disorders of certain nerve ganglion in the skull area including the gasserian vidian and geniculate ganglia. All give different pain syndromes. So he should see his ENT physician with the complaint of otodynia. Dr frank