Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have had pressure in my temples past 5-6 weeks and can not

Customer Question

I have had pressure in my temples for the past 5-6 weeks and can not sleep through an entire night. I have a deviated septum and I am experiencing personality changes, extreme fatigue, and cannot focus. I am experiencing all of the same side effects as a lack of oxygen to the brain. I also notice that certain things can bring on the pressure to my temples as well, things that bring me energy. Is this due to my deviated septum?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am here to help. Your deviated septum has no bearing on your oxygen saturation in your blood. But if you are having head pain in the setting of personality change then migraine headaches may be a problem. Have you seen a neurologist or your regular physcian. How can i help? Dr frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Another possibility is obstructive sleep apnea? Are you overweight have a family history sleep apnea or epilepsy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't seen a neurologist, but I am certain that it is due to lack of oxygen. 2 years ago, my face was stepped on in football and I believe my nose was messed up in a sense. I have gotten a cat scan and it came back showing that I have a deviated septum and a sinus disease.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not overweight, nor do I have a family history of this. I do know, hover, that all of my symptoms lead up to lack of oygen of my brain. I have started noticing strong fatigue all day, get pressure around my temples, and have gotten new veins that have started to poke out of my body. And I don't believe that this is sleep apnea because i have taken NyQuil and trazadone to help me sleep but these are too no prevail
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel like a completely different person ever since that has happened and I need help
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Yes. ECT especially if giver in a bilateral stimulate protocol is associated with chronic depletion of dopamine in deep grey matter areas of the basal ganglion leading to essential blepharospasm. Dr frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you possibly repeat that and simplify it?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

You need a polysomnogram done by a sleep lab. They will look at your sleep architecture in relation to your blood oxygen saturation to see if obstruction from the septum itself (which is unlikely unless your nasopharyngeal mucosa was effected). Certainly feeling disoriented in the setting of obsa and having headaches makes sense. You need to contact a pulmonologist or neurologist with subspecialty training in sleep medicine. Let me know if I can help further or if that is what you need please rate my service by clicking on the stars. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Sorry that posting was for another patient.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hadn't experienced any form of sleep apnea until I was stepped on, could this have caused my sleep issues?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

To simplify. The ect changed deep areas of your brain if they shocked you on both sides of your brain at the same time ( do you have your records?). This effect comes about as you age and there is less dopamine a neurotransmitter in certain areas of your brain. This can be measured wiith PET scans. The treatment is botox. Dr frank. Speak to a neurologist and they can help.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

The software is changing patients. Sorry. I cannot tell you if the injury is the cause from here. An ENT doctor could with an exam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already gotten an exam and they told me to use Zyrtec and nasacort and that if this didn't help that I would need a septoplasty. I am curious however if this will cure my personality changes and focus ability
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

If it is obsa those meds will not be effective but the sleep study is needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you clarify as to what Obsa is?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hang on. I will find a website

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/obstructive-sleep-apnea/basics/definition/con-20027941

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

The deviated septum by itself should not cause this but your symptoms of headache bitemporal change in personality does

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you believe that all of the symptoms related to a lack of oxygen to the brain can potentially be paralleled with that of Obsa?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

You have obsa symptoms no question. Do you have obsa because of the facial injury????? Need the test

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I hope i was able to answer your questions. Please remember to rate my service by clicking on the stars as that is how I am compensated. Thanks Dr Frank