Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

When you get a flu shot, is it normal arm to be swollen.I

Customer Question

When you get a flu shot, is it normal for you arm to be swollen.I have this big muscle looking on my upper arm. It's very sore to the touch.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

when did this start in relation to getting the shot. If it is 2 to 3 days following the shot, no problem. If it is a longer period now, then I would ask if it is red and warm? Did you get FLUcellvax or FLUblok? ( you probably do not know) Are you allergic to eggs? get back to me to discuss. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not allergic to eggs. I got the flu shot yesterday morning Sept. 30 th. The swelling started late that evening and was very warm. Although is still swollen and sore, is starting to feel some what better. Does it hurt to put ice on it? I have never had a flu shot to do this. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Yes. You should ice it as much as you can tolerate for the first 48 hours from your injection. Injection reactions in this initial period are usually histamine reactions only. They do not suggest a specific allergy to the components of the shot. You can takr an over the counter antihistamine like claritin to take out the redness. Get back to me with questions. The fact that it is getting better is a good sign. Please remember to rate me if satisfied. Thanks. Dr frank