Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I had a brain aneurism one month ago. An MRA showed an

Customer Question

I had a brain aneurism one month ago. An MRA showed an aneurism 1.5 - 2 mm. I feel like I am the only one worried about it bursting. Is there a certain size that it has to be to be surgically corrected?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JA

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

In aneurysms, anything over 7-8 mm is considered a significant aneurysm and should be addressed. The trend based on data obtained over many years is to watch them until they reach that size at least, if there is no family history of aneurysms with catastrophic rupture, etc. which it sounds like you may have. It also depends where it is located. Do you know the area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bottom left base of skull
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

aneurysms are named by the artery that they are apart of, like the PCOM (posterior communicating artery) or MCA (middle cerebral artery). Aneurysms are defects in the three layer wall of the artery, and this defect usually occurs at bifurcations of the artery, or where it divides or splits to form two branches. That splitting forms a small defect in the wall, and that is where it starts. If that is the correct size of your aneurysm, I do not think anyone would want to try and repair it at this point. Aneurysms are fairly common, up to 14% of brains if you include brains examined at autopsy (they are just incidental findings, they don't usually rupture) Dr Frank I hope I was able to answer your question. Please get back to me if you need additional information, or remember to rate my service if satisfied as that is how I am compensated for my work. Dr Frank