Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I fell off ship in navy 1978 t pier from 50 ft broke left

Customer Question

i fell off ship in navy 1978 hit pier from 50 ft broke left ankle after everything healed left hip top cyattic nerve has hurt pain in butt down leg had mri done at va hosp slight one disc degeneration very light spinal stinosis narrowing could i have permanent nerve damage some level of pain every day since then 37 yrs ugh!! help can theay run test to verify
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. Yes, you could have sciatica, an inflammation of the sciatic nerve, the largest nerve that comes off the lower spinal cord. The test you need to run

in addition to the MRI scan of the lumbar spine is the EMG/NCV test. That is an electrical test that tests the quality of the sciatic nerve a few ways. With that information you can

tell if this is an old injury going back 37 years or more recent damage. You can also tell your potential to recover the deficits that the test shows.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Please get back to me with questions if I can help. If you need medications for chronic pain that are based on sciatica, there are neuropathic medications like gabapentin, pregabalin and duloxetine as well as a variety of other centrally acting agents that are not narcotic based for pain. In addition, a neurologist could use more sophisticated modalities like spinal cord stimulators to control chronic pain. If you are satisfied with this answer, please do not forget to click on the stars on that page, to give me a rating so that I can be compensated for my work. Thanks *****