Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Weeks or so I have been experiencing bilateral numbness in

Customer Question

For 6+ weeks or so I have been experiencing bilateral numbness in my hands when I lie down. At first it seemed just when I was side lying, but now, no matter the position, they tingle and then begin to go dead.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bilateral arm and hand tingling is getting progressively worse, more frequent. Even while I am up and moving, using my hands or not. During the day when I experience this I have noticed I feel weird too, like weaker. Hard to explain. Non-smoker, but excessive daily alcohol intake off and on for 2 years. Otherwise diet is good. 5'8" 150 lbs. No prescription meds other than augmentin for pneumonia 5days ago, asthma for 5 years - albuterol inhaler.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lite to no structured exercise, insomnia for 4 + years. Fall asleep easily and sleep hard for maybe 3-4 hours, once I wake, I'm up.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

You symptoms fall into the class of ischemic neuropathy

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Within this classification are several causes, bou the end effect is the same, the perpheral nerve sensory endings are not getting nutrients they need to function properly. It suggests either poor axoplasmic flow in the nerve or vascular insufficiency from large or microvascular disease.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Y

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

t like First since you stated you use alcohol sleep hard (do you snore?) The concept of hypercarbia and swelling is likely. Laying flat you equilibrate your body fluid and your breathing markedly slows raising yout co2 level causing you to retain water and swell especially at the wrists. You create carpal tunnel effects compressing your median nerve at the wrist. You can also drop blood flow at the shoulder and create a poor environment for all the nerves in your arm. Alcohol and if you smoke does not help this situation. Other contributors can be hypothyroidism and/or diabetes so you need to be checked.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

A neurologist will look at all of this and best determine contrbuting factors. Emg/ncv testing. Blood work. Checking your vitamin levels. Etc

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Things you can do now. Decrease alcohol and take b complex Vitamin with extra thiamine. If you snore do you have sleep apnea? May need 2 pillows to raise head. Or cpap machine sleep study. Kill the etoh. You can try wearing wrist cock up splints bought at a pharmacy at night.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

There are other things like bad posture at the shoulders causing compression of subclavian artery while you sleep called thoracic outlet syndrome. A better firmer mattress can help.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Get back to me with questions. Or click on the stars to rate my service. Thanks dr frank