Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I've been taking 25mg. QID, or 100mg. daily of generic

Customer Question

I've been taking 25mg. QID, or 100mg. daily of generic dexedrine (zenzedi) for about 20 years for severe narcolepsy. For quite some years now it just isn't much help but because of the already high dosage, doctors don't want to even consider increasing it.
My quality of life is very poor as I still sleep about 14 to 18 hours out of 24 and can't plan anything. I want to ask them to add 20mg. of adderal BID to be taken with, or to be changed from zenzedi to something else, (don't know what), but don't know how to ask this, plus I don't want to change to something even less effective than what I am now taking.
I don't abuse this or any medicines, I don't drink or smoke, and only want to have some sort of life where I can actually feel like I have accomplished something during the day instead of sleeping what time I may have left of this earth away.
I realize it will take an expert on pharmacology as well as narcolepsy to figure this out, none of which I am aware of, anywhere, or at least someone very trusting and understanding to be willing to help me with this without thinking I just want more for some other purpose, but it is a fact that so many years on this would have to have built a tolerance and became much less effective, so why is it so difficult to understand that it just isn't working anymore?
Can you help me with any information I can take to my doctor that may offer me better results than what I have been taking without losing even more time to sleep than I already have. It just isn't an option to start over and build back up as I've lost so much time already and I have things I just need to be doing that isn't getting done, such as living.
Thank you,
Sheila
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello welcome to JA

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Yes. You have attained a tolerance to amphetamine and I would ask if you have tried other medical approaches to narcolepsy like using xyrem at night and modafinil during the day and titrating back on the amphetamine? Dr frank