Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Dear Doctors, My wife and I were recently in Phoenix, and

Customer Question

Dear Doctors, My wife and I were recently in Phoenix, and northern Arizona on September 7th. There were many bats around outside. She found a spot on the back of her leg, but never felt a bite from anything. We didn't see any bats in the hotels or anything,
but we were wondering if this looks like a bat bite. We were unable to find any online. It's a bit under 1 centimeter spacing, and we're curious. Is this a common fang spread for a bat? Does the bite look bat like? She is hyper reactive to mosquito bites,
so we're wondering if maybe that's what happened to make the small fangs of a bat bite look worse here (because bats eat mosquitoes and so on). Thank you very very much for any help you can provide.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see the answer.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I was able to view a bat bite image and it was slightly less than one cm betwwen the two marks and looked like hers except not as inflamed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thing that we're worried about here is that she's hyper-reactive to mosquitos, and we're wondering if that's what could have inflamed her.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

http://www.cdc.gov/features/bats/ Here is a webpage from the cdc regarding histoplasmosis and rabies risk.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've googled all this already. My question was more about whether it's likely that a bite could become inflamed like that, if someone is very reactive to insects (what bats eat).
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

There is a protocol depending on location where the bite took place if disease is endemic in that area.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Yes. A generalized histamine response is expected if she reacts severely to mosquitos. There is no way to determine inoculation from the bite. That is why passive immunoglobulin is indicated if in an endemic area

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Just to clarify. It isnt because bats eat mosquitos. It is because any traumatic puncture through the skin elicits this reaction. I hope that helps. Get back to me with questions. Dr frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're worried about the immunoglobulin, because we've heard that it can transmit disease (HIV, HCV, CJD, etc...). Are these immunoglobulin injections generally safe? I'm unable to find much information on how often they're infected.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

They are all tested and safe. Here is the website from the cdc. http://www.who.int/rabies/human/WHO_strategy_prepost_exposure/en/index1.html

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I hope i was able to answer your question and send additional information. Please remember to click on the stars and rate my service as that is how i am compensated for my work Dr frank