Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Bray I have been having leg pain on both legs especially the

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Bray
I have been having leg pain on both legs especially the upper thighs with spasms in calves. Sometimes it is difficult to walk other times it hurts at rest. I have had a doppler done and results are negative. Could this be heart related? Also my ears are ringing and seem full or blocked.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. This question was sent to Neurology and i will try to help you as Dr Bray is not in this dept. If you wish you can resubmit the question and ask for Medical. I am a board certified neurologist and internist. I would ask based on your symptoms if you were taking a statin medication for high cholesterol or had any other illnesses that requires medication.? Especially medication for hypertension. Please get back with a response and I will reply. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, No I do not take any medication for high cholesterol and do not have high cholesterol. Not taking any medication for hypertension either. I did have my thyroid removed and am taking 0.75 synthroid plus 1000 mg of calcium and .25 or racitrol (vitamin D). I am concerned re stroke
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had Bells Palasy two years ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I thought we were going to have a conversation??
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. sorry I had a patient.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

so one thing I can say from here is that vascular events, i.e. stroke is a unilateral brain attack. Having pain in both legs does not sound like a vascular problem in the sense of a stroke. However, as you mentioned PAD, peripheral arterial disease is the number one cause for the pain you describe going down to your calves with cramping or spasms.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

does the pain in your thighs increase when squeezing them, like they are sore? or only with walking? You mentioned it hurt at rest. Any chance you have had a viral illness

lately, or an ear infection as a type of viral illness? Do you have any type of arthritis, especially rheumatoid arthritis? There are variants of that illness where you can have generalized

muscle pain which is noted at rest, with squeezing the thighs and then also increased with walking. It can be related to cramping as your potassium, magnesium or calcium can be

in an abnormal range. I see you take calcium and Vit D, a good thing. But hydration with electrolyte containing beverages, with additional potassium and magnesium can be helpful for

cramps. The rheumatological problem is called polymyalgia rheumatic. But the tinnitus (ringing in the ears) could also be related to changes in potassium levels. For that evaluation, you need an audiologist and an ENT physician to examine your ear canals, especially with the fullness.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Please get back to me to discuss, I am in and out with other work, but will return to reply to your questions. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Oh, about the bell's palsy. The most common reason for Bell's is a viral infection in the middle ear canal, or otitis media. With your current symptoms, consistent with the diagnosis of

otitis, I would suggest you see the ENT as you can get recurrent Bell's palsy. Dr Frank