Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My 21 yr old daughter experienced her arm going numb and

Customer Question

My 21 yr old daughter experienced her arm going numb and then her hand was shaking like a spasm. She doesn't have any pain in her chest or anywhere else. She said her shoulder feels a little sore. She has been studying for her LSAT's (test this Saturday) and has had a lot of stress. Should i take her to the doctor? If so, what type? Or could this just be a spasm from stress
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello welcome to JA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like writers cramp. Any history of cfs ( cramp fasciculation syndrome) in family or parkinsons in older family members. She needs to hydrate big time with gatoraide eat bananas and baby hand. If overweight disbetic could be cts. Carpal tunnel syndyome. Wrist pain? Numbness is where on hand exactly. Get back to me and we will try to fix this or rate me by clicking on stars if satisfied. Dr frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Get her a cock up splint for her hand if you suspect carpal tunnel. You can get one at cvs. The shoulder discomfort is more consistent with cfs or writers cramp

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the time this happened, she was at her internship (office) having lunch and all of a sudden her whole arm (shoulder to fingers) went numb and her hand start shaking. She said she couldn't talk for a second but she thinks that may be because she was scared. They sent her home and she feels fine but is just nervous. It was only a total of about 10 seconds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the first time its ever happened. She's a full time college student, with an internship, and LSAT classes for the past month. And its her left arm (she is right handed)
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Oh. Big difference. I assumed it was the dominant hand. Is she hysterical? Meaning a stress reaction from LSAT. ? I cannot tell anything from here but you know her. Secondly is she athletic? Injure shoulder or brachial plexus. Nerves that pass through the shoulder Vascular co ditions like subclavian steal syndrome or thoracic outlet syndrome where the artery to her arm and hand is compressed usually by bad posture where she sits at a desk with her shoulders slumped forward chest involuted. You know what i mean?

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

You can also get numbness in your ring and pinky finger and hand weakness by compressing the ulnar nerve at the elbow by resting her elbow on a hard surface.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm certain she is stressed. And she's athletic but to be honest she's rarely made it to the gym this past two weeks because of studying. Would you recommend that I have her go to the Dr or walk in clinic? If so, what type of dr (she's at college and doesn't have a normal physician there)
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay the computer is overwhelmed. Yes she needs to see someone. An md that knew her would be preferable but an internist should see her. Pain and numbness together in the same distribution suggests peripheral nerve ot vascular conditions as i outlined. This is not a brain or spinal cord issue in my estimation. An md could exclude the hysterical component. Please get back to me with questions if i can help from here. Dr frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I hope i was able to answer all your questions. Please remember to rate my answer as that is how I am compensated for my work. Click on the stars on the page. Thanks. Dr Frank