Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My husband is on warfarin. approx 12 days ago he said he

Customer Question

my husband is on warfarin. approx 12 days ago he said he felt a cramp in the back of his right thigh. The area has been sore ever since. This morning he got out of bed and his back right thigh from below his butt to his knee is completely purple. Should we go to the ER? He says the pain in his leg is gone now.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. It seems your husband had an abnormal amount of bleeding under the skin in the distribution of the popliteal vein. When was the last time his PT and INR was checked? Has he changed his wsrfarin dose? Did he traumatize his thigh? It could have been a clot (is he on warfarin for DVT)?

If the area of bruising is emlarginh and he has mot had a rect bood test then he needs yo go to the ER as they can reverse yhe anticoagulant effects. I hope that helps. Get back to me with questions or rate my service by clicking on the stars. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I am here to answer your questions if you need a physician. Dr Frank