Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I injured my right hand ring finger on August 9th. My first

Customer Question

I injured my right hand ring finger on August 9th. My first visit to the doctor was August 10th. Ex rays were taken and didn't show anything significant. Since then I see an OT twice a week. My finger looks exactly like the mallet finger shown here. I have an appointment with a hand specialist on October 15. I am a choir teacher and accompany my own choirs. What should I be doing? I play piano up to 8 hours a day. I am worried that I have caused irreparable damage.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

With mallet finger the extensor dig tendon is damaged. It can also be flex dig superficialialis on the flexor surface but the key is the extensor. You need the OT and she should be soaking the digit as needed using ice and then range of motion exercises if capable. You should wear a splint that puts the digit in an extensor posture. The hand surgeon decides if there is an occult fracture of the digit. Meaning you cannot see it but he can. And if you need tendon repair surgically or adhesions in the sheath depending on location. But if injury at DIP joint does it need repair? Hope I answered you question please remember to rate my service as that's how I am compensated. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my service as that is how I get compensated. Click on the rating stars on that page. Thanks dr frank