Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I am schedules emg test - since I have pain in both arms -

Customer Question

I am schedules for an emg test - since I have pain in both arms - when I do not take a daily Aleve pill., -then I am fine, but only at night I have trouble sleeping because of the pain.
I'd like to avoid this emg test and rather go to a physical therapist.
What is your opinion please?
I lifted my husband several times - tried too much - he has MS and Altzheimers, and was unable to get up by himself - I think I injured my back doing this.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JA

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

The emg exam is a test of peripheral nerve function. In your case I expect they are trying to locate a cervical radiculopathy. A pinched nerve in your neck from lifting your husband? This test should be done in concert with the MRI scan of the cervical spine when contemplating surgery. If that is the reason for the test and you are not considereding surgery then I would agree with you. You need therapy not testing.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

But I am only making assumptions and there might be a reason like carpal tunnel syndrome which you can fix surgically at any age. My suggestion is that I agree with you as you presented it. You have a valid argument. I would ask him and see what he is thinking before you go for the test.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Please get back to me if you have questions or remember to click on those rating stars so I get my compensation for this answer. Dr frank