Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

I sustained a concussion on August 1st when a board fell on

Customer Question

Hi there. I sustained a concussion on August 1st when a board fell on my bed. No loss of consciousness and no previous history of losing consciousness or seizures or anything like that. I've had migraines and other headaches frequently.
I was recovering pretty well (headaches went away, etc.) and then a month later I smacked into something with my head (front of head) and believe I got another concussion. Then a week later, was almost in a car accident and flew forward and back (did not hit my head) and have had some whip lash like pain in my head and neck (PCP said he did not think it was a concussion.)
I don't feel great - headaches, some dizziness, trouble focusing, anxiety, etc. I'm supposed to see a neurologist tomorrow - but I'm also supposed to fly across the country to be maid of honor in a friend's wedding tomorrow as well.
One of my biggest concerns is worsening my situation - and I'm afraid of knocking my head again since I'll be traveling around a fair bit. How increased are my chances and for how long are my chances increased? Is it safe to fly?
Thank you so much!
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

everytime you hit your head isn't a concussion.

excessive anxiety can cause headaches and dizziness and trouble focusing

you have seen your PCP doctor already who doesn't think you had a concussion.

it doesn't sound like you have increased risks at all for brain problems from concussion

I suspect that all of your symptoms of headaches and dizziness are from your anxiety symptoms

yes, you are safe to fly.

are you on medication to treat your anxiety?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's good to hear. I certainly hope it's just anxiety :) To clarify, my PCP did think I had a concussion after I was hit by the board. Those symptoms subsided in a few weeks. Then, hit again, more symptoms that have yet to subside (it's been 2.5 weeks). The third incident is what he thought was unlikely to be a concussion.My question is 1) whether the data (or common sense) shows anything around air pressure on planes increasing post concussive symptoms and 2) how long I'm at increased risk for concussion if I hit my head again.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

no, decreased air pressure on airplane flights don't increase post concussion symptoms.

you are not at risks for head trauma. you are not playing contact sports which increase risks for concussion.

that was a freak accident when you were hit by the board.

you don't have to stress about future accidents.

this only worsens your anxiety and worry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks. Just to confirm, are you a primary care physician or a neurologist or something else? Debating canceling my apt tomorrow if you are indeed a neurologist with experience in concussion.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

I am a MD doctor who specializes in oncology and cancer therapy

we have extra training for brain and neurology issues.

yes, I have experience in concussion.

you are welcome

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com