Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I happened to be reading an article that said severe

Customer Question

I happened to be reading an article that said severe sweating might be a neurological problem. I have been retaining water and have been placed on a water pill by my medical doctor. My question is this}} anytime I do light housework, I start sweating severely and get weak. I am a type 2 diabetic and my numbers are not high. My medical doctor has tested my blood, urine, and also had a CT done. All test came back normal except he said my potassium was low. I am also taking potassium.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JA

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you have a condition called hyperhidrosis. I will attach a simple webpage describing the usual causes of hyperhidrosis.

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007259.htm

What you were reading about in the article is one type of this problem, called primary hyperhidrosis. This can be congenital, as it runs in families

or acquired through unknown means. This is considered a neurological condition. In the familiar form, the excessive sweating tends to run in

very specific patterns, like only the palms and soles of the feet, etc. In the neurologically acquired form, it comes from damage to one or a group of

nerves, causing excessive neuronal activity to the sympathetic system which regulates blood vessels, and ultimately sweating because as the blood vessels

dialate, they stimulate the sweat glands and cause the sweating to result. This problem and the genetic problem can be treated with neuromuscular blocking agents

like BOTOX, which when injected into the small nerves around sweat glands, disrupt the ability of the sweat gland to dump sweat excessively.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but I do not have your listed age, I assume you are a woman, and that maybe you are going through menopause (?) If that is the case, then your sweating may be

related to the hormonal change, and taking HRT, hormonal replacement therapy can work to stop hot flashes and subsequent sweating. Please get back to me with questions

or remember to click on the rating stars if satisfied as that is how I get compensated. Dr Frank