Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have had a left knee replacement 2 years ago. it has

Customer Question

I have had a left knee replacement 2 years ago. it has always been very painful. I can have good days with slight pain and then suddenly excruciating pain in the beginning pain was on the side of knee, now it is inside the knee and can hit like a electric shock even when I am still. my current surgeon says my knee replacement is fine, the pain is coming from my hip which shows arthritis deteriation and is saying I need a hip replacement to cure the knee pain. I am worried that will not cure the knee pain. thanks for any help
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

This is one of the more common problems associated with TKR, total knee replacement. The hip on that side, or the other side is effected by balance and maybe increased ambulation which comes as the result of the improved knee. One question I would ask is if DJD, degenerative joint disease is a problem effecting all your joints? And if that is the case, have you seen a rheumatologist to discuss medical management of that problem rather than considering another joint replacement? There are now medications being used to reduce the progressive erosion of joints and prevent subsequent joint replacement. Please get back to me if I can help, ask questions Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

If you would like to discuss this topic further, please feel free to use the reply box and let me know. If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions,you can find me here : http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-neuromd2012/ ( Please book mark it) Thank you so much, Dr. Frank