Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

My husband is experiencing extreme weakness in s legs. He's

Customer Question

My husband is experiencing extreme weakness in his legs. He's been having problems for a long time. If he drinks and smokes in the evening they get really really bad..Is this probably a neurology problem? We're trying to decide what type of doctor to go to.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

does he take any meds?

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Please get back to me if you wish to discusd this with a neurologist. If he has has studies such as emg or mri of his lower spine please post results and i will reply. Dr frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no tests have been done
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Well the improvement off statins suggest that he had at least in part a statin induced myositis. His blood test would have been abnormal ( ck) and if lowered now would gove you an answer. Contributing conditions could be neuropathy from a variety of sources. From the back or inherent disease like diabetes. He needs a neurologist to examine and sort it out and tests as described previously. Get back to me if i cAn help or rate me if satisfied. Dr frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

If you would like to discuss this topic further, please feel free to use the reply box and let me know. If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions,you can find me here : http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-neuromd2012/ ( Please book mark it) Thank you so much, Dr. Frank

This could be neuropathy or nerve damage related to alcohol

I would recommend an EMG to see if there is any damage.