DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

Since childhood, my husband has had what has come to be

Customer Question

Since childhood, my husband has had what has come to be called petit mal seizures, even though when tested there is no signs of him having them. He is on carbatrol, Felbatol. These have not helped. An example of what he does in these is: He was a phlebotomist the situation as described to me was, he remembers the lady he had just set up to give plasma was done but in his thoughts he went to see if she needed anything. Described by his boss was the lady was done and Jerry went over took the needle out and just stuck it back in her arm. Jerry does not remember this part, he remembers walking over, and then being told to go to the break room. This is how they work with him, in his mind he continues to do his job, and has no memory of that space in between. My question is, are these seizures, if so why do they not show up on the test. Is there another condition that looks like seizures but are not. Help I think if these do not end up causing him to kill someone, they are going to kill me from the stress.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

These can be seizures.

He should have a sleep deprived EEG to see if that is the case.

More will show up on these.

Sometimes atypical seizures do not show up on a regular EEG.

Clearly, also, if these are still happening, his medications need to be changed.

In part, this would be based on the EEG findings.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.