Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I am 74 years old. I fell from my ladder about 3 months ago

Customer Question

Good Morning Doc,
My name is***** and I am 74 years old. I fell from my ladder about 3 months ago and damage to my spine was show up by an MRI exam. It showed that three of the vertebra were cracked that that my spine was compressed. I went into a back brace and now out of it. I continue to have pinch nerve pain..
My questions are (1) How should I exercise? I have one of those machines that one goes on and it puts one in an upside down position Will it cause more damage to the three cracked vertebra?
(2) Should I be on any medication apart from pain killers? ( 3) Will swimming help?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello welcome to JA

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Of your questions, three is the only question I can answer with the information you sent. Yes, swimming is perfect for lower back (?) injury as it builds up the paravertebral muscles without risk of further compressive injury.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Question 2 is probably also yes. There are meds in the NSAID class that will help with tramadol for pain and reduce inflammation. The are also meds like gabapentin for neuropathic pain which you may have based on specifics which i dont have on your injury.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

For question 1. I suggest you ask a PMR doctor. Physical medicine and rehabilitation specialists can look at you, your medical records including films and outline a training program to get you back in shape and hopefully pain free. I hope that answers your questions please rate my service if satisfied or reply. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

If you would like to discuss this topic further, please feel free to use the reply box and let me know. If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions,you can find me here : http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-neuromd2012/ ( Please book mark it) Thank you so much, Dr. Frank