Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

My daughter had a seizure yesterday and one 7 months ago.

Customer Question

My daughter had a seizure yesterday and one 7 months ago. She's 19. First episode cat scan, blood work, ekg, all fine. Yesterday had blood tests and ekg fine. She went to a neurologist after first one, did an overall check up, said everything seemed fine. Thinking it was syncope then. Will see neuro again. First episode was in school in a room called black box room, movie theatre last night, scary movie. Could environment play role? So very scared for her. Could it be epilepsy?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for the question and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns. I had posted my answer at your previous question too and I am not sure whether you have received that answer or not, and I will post below here the exact copy of my answer which I had posted earlier at your other question.

This is the exact copy of my answer at your previous question;

“If she is having tongue bite then this looks like a seizure more than a syncope. I am not sure whether she had a Routine EEG (study of the brain waves) done or not. If not done she needs a Routine EEG asap because Routine EEG can help in telling us whether these episodes are seizures or not. If she already had a Routine EEG then she would require a Prolonged monitoring EEG like Ambulatory EEG for 72 hours etc which can help in establishing the correct diagnosis.

Serious possibilities like brain tumors etc are unlikely because she had a normal CAT scan of the brain. However because the CAT scan has come normal she now needs an MRI scan of the brain. MRI scan can identify conditions which might have been missed by a CAT scan so an MRI scan of the brain is recommended along with the EEG. However please not to worry about serious possibilities or life threatening conditions like brain tumors etc because such serious possibilities can be diagnosed with the CAT scan itself and her CAT scan being normal such serious possibilities appear unlikely. She will also need a test called as Tilt Table Test to explore the possibility of Syncope. If the syncope diagnosis is confirmed then the neurologist has to consider starting her on syncope treatments which may include trying her on meds like SSRI agents or Beta Blockers etc. If the seizure diagnosis is confirmed then the neurologist has to consider starting her on seizure meds to prevent these type of episodes happening in the future.”

In this question you have inquired about the possible role of environmental stimuli for her episodes, and the answer is yes, environmental stimuli can play a role. In fact seizures or syncope - both can get triggered due to environment. First she needs the additional investigations like EEG, MRI scan of the brain, and a Tilt table test etc to arrive at a correct diagnosis – Seizure disorder (Epilepsy) Versus Syncope and then she needs to be treated appropriately as discussed earlier above.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I am a board certified neurologist trained in the U.S. I will try to answer your question

Hi, please go through the information I have provided above when your time permits, and if you have any further questions or if you need any additional clarifications please let me know and I will be very glad to assist you further.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor