Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have been experiencing bilateral joint stiffness and pain

Customer Question

I have been experiencing bilateral joint stiffness and pain in feet,ankles,knees,hips and hands for 7 weeks. Listens after about an hour after getting up in am. No inflammation markers in blood test for RA...
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Have you seen a rheumatologist? Have a family history of RA ( seronegatve RA). Had a family of blood tests to exclude Lyme other autoimmune diseases like lupus or sarcoidosis ? Please get back to me with answers and any other info and I will try to add something useful. Dr frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No family history of RA. Negative for Lymes and no syptoms assoc w/ lupus like fever or rash. Is there a blood test for Lupus? My GP said my liver function and kidney numbers were off and he wants me to get re-tested on Mon. Does that indicate anything ?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi. The blood tests certainly are important. What comes into play are groups of infectious disease like viral and rickettsial problems, diseases specific to the liver,kidney or both(hepatorenal syndrome) where the joints are the innocent bystander and you have inflammation and pain. There are too many conditions to list. But that needs to be evaluated. This could be a form of mild viral hepatitis that can present with joint pain or an autoimmune disease like sarcoidosis which is rare. It is difficult for me to give you a specific answer without the actual blood values. You may need a liver biopsy or more specific blood tests. Please get back to me if i can help or ratemy service if satisfied. Dr frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Didnt answer your question about lupus. Yes. There are several tests. The ANA test is commmonly done first. A blood or serological test. The results can vary widely and a more sensitive test if the Ana is suggestive but not clearly positive is the ds-Dna test.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

If you would like to discuss this topic further, please feel free to use the reply box and let me know. If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions,you can find me here : http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-neuromd2012/ ( Please book mark it) Thank you so much, Dr. Frank