Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Ruptured a bicep tendon June 5rh had surgery September 3rd.

Customer Question

Ruptured a bicep tendon June 5rh had surgery September 3rd. How long does it take to full recovert. No rehab yet just in a ROM Brace at 60 degrees because of swelling.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a distal bicep tear at the elbow.
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

On an average one requires about 12 weeks (3 months) for recovery after repair of a muscle tendon. In some patients the recovery may take bit longer but in general majority of the patients recover within about 3 months after the repair surgery. You need to be evaluated by rehab/physical therapy service as soon as possible and they will decide when to initiate the therapies. The customized therapies are introduced gradually and then optimized depending upon the response and tolerance to the therapies.

Once again to your main question, it takes on average around 3 months for full recovery after surgery for a ruptured tendons like biceps tendon.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor