Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Had a serious fall on sunday not sure why, today am very

Customer Question

had a serious fall on sunday not sure why, today am very unbalanced and somewhat dizzy
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Welcome to JA. I am a US trained board certified neurologist here to answer your question. Did you pass out before you fell, or did you feel yourself

falling to the ground? The dizziness/unbalance today suggests a problem involving the posterior part of the brain. Did they do a brain imaging study on you?

Tell me about the dizziness, is it in a certain position, like laying down? Or with rapid head movements? Do you have any ringing in your ears? Any numbness

or weakness other than when walking? Let me know with answers and I will return with a reply as to what I think might be happening. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not feel anything prior to fall, head and nose injury.
Had cat scan on head neck and nose.
Slight dizziness sitting or walking.
Very unbalanced when walking.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear you are having such issues. The imbalance could be a temporary thing, related to the concussion you sustained when you fell. The dizziness as well, from

involvement of the balance mechanism that starts in the inner ears bilaterally. Has this new imbalance developed some 3 days after the fall, or has it been constant from

the time of injury. Did you pass out when your head hit the floor? Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The real balance just started today.
Think I must have passed out prior to fall, no way to know for sure.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I understand the problem in knowing if you passed out, but if that is the case, namely passing out caused you to fall, rather than you fell from a hip problem and hit your head, causing you to pass out, then you have to consider a pre-stroke or stroke condition involving the "posterior fossa" area of the brain. The cerebellum and brain stem area, which a few days after a mild stroke may manifest as gait instability and imbalance. So unfortunately, I would contact my doctor, tell him that you can't walk a straight line (or put your feet together when standing up) without falling over (?). Ask him if he thinks you might have had a stroke to the cerebellum area of the brain? You might want to get a repeat scan, if only to document that problem, and then you would consider medication like aspirin/Plavix or other blood thinners, in addition to getting you into a PT program (vestibular training program) to rehab your stroke.

I hope that helps. In your case, then, the "passing out" when you initially fell 3 days ago was caused from an abrupt decrease in blood flow to that posterior area of your brain. It is called VBI, vertebrobasilar insufficiency. Please get back to me if you have more questions or if satisfied please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for my work Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very satisfied with doctor. Very knowledgeable.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Please get back to me anytime if you have further questions. If you get the repeat scan i can explain the findings in a repot or answer questions about new meds. Good luck to you. Dr frank