Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My 46 yr-old son is suffering right shoulder pain (not left)

Customer Question

My 46 yr-old son is suffering right shoulder pain (not left) with arm swelling,sweating, some fever. Blood tests do not indicate heart problem; Stress test caused acute pain in right shoulder/arm - test stopped; some dizziness; clammy skin; chest xray was normal; Could it be a blood clot, tumor, or pinched nerve? CT Scan next?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I am a US trained board certified neurologist and will try to answer your question. By injection of pain killer,do you mean Toradol, an NSAID? There are several possibilities here, including a blockage in the subclavian artery, and cervical radiculopathy, a pinched nerve exiting the cervical spine, in this case the C4, 5 or 6 nerve. It could be problem of the brachial plexus, or specific nerves to the shoulder like the axillary nerve. It could be tendonitis of the shoulder. I do not have enough information. With the tingling sensation of the right hand, if it was in the thumb and index finger primarily, sparing the pinky, ring finger, than again a C5 or C6 radiculopathy from a pinched nerve in the cervical spine between C4/5 and C5/6 would be suggested. It could still be the brachial plexopathy being segmentally involved (the upper trunk). There are conditions like subclavian steal syndrome where the artery is effected positionally. To diagnose a cervical problem, an MRI of the C spine is much better than the CT scan, and no radiation dose. Please get back to me with questions if I can help, or rate my service if satisfied. Dr Frank