Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My wife has been having some symptoms the past couple of

Customer Question

My wife has been having some symptoms the past couple of weeks, along with several episodes that seem strokelike to us.
It started with her feeling a lot of fatigue and saying she felt "weird" in general. THen she had some periodic random symptoms. One day, tingling in her hands. The next day, trouble reading something clearly (not vision, just concentrating and reading it clearly). Then a headache (she never gets headaches). But these thins came and went.
Then, about a week ago, in the evening she had an episode of slurred speech and weakness, that came and went in about 10 minutes.
The following morning, it happened again, and lasted longer. This time she had a few minutes when she couldn't speak at all. And she couldn't get the strength to sit up. But then it went away. We went to the doctor (we are Americans living in Uganda), and she did a lot of bloodwork to rule out various infections, thyroid, etc. That all came back normal. She hasn't had any fever with this, all vitals normal.
She went up and down, feeling better a lot of the time (though really fatigued for about 3 days), and then having brief episodes again where she felt like she did before, but without the slurred speech and not as intense.
There were other times where she felt weak (couldn't chew very well one morning) or had coordination issues (e.g. couldn't aim well enough to crack an egg)
We got an MRI done, but haven't yet had it read by anyone who we are confident can really do it. The machine is a 1.5 Tesla, which we have read can sometimes miss things like smaller lesions. But to those who have looked at it, they said it looks clear.
This morning, she had another longer episode, when she couldn't stand up very well, slurred her speech and couldn't put her thoughts together. She had been having trouble last night and this morning with articulating thoughts, missing a letter writing a few times, and similar things (she homeschools our kids, and two of them really noticed it). She was really weak for a long time after this, not really able to sit up or roll herself on her side. And everything she said just felt "slow."
If we were in the States, we would have been to a neurologist by now. But knowing that there are so many things that can cause these kinds of things, including certain viruses, we couldn't spend $8,000 to put our whole family on a plane to the US.
We thought she was getting better, as her last few days have been on the upswing. But then this has us really concerned.
Dave
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I am a us trained board certified neurologist and will try to answer your question. I cannot diagnose her condition but might be able to help

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I am a us trained board certified neurologist and will try to answer your question. One thing i could offer is to review her scan. Uploading to www.image32.com. Then let me know how to see the images.