Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have developed carpal tunnel syndrome during pregnancy and

Customer Question

I have developed carpal tunnel syndrome during pregnancy and now I am 2 weeks post partum. 3 days ago I noticed some muscle atrophy and fasciculations in my thenar eminence of the same hand. Could this be explained by CTS? I am worried about having ALS. I have not have any nerve conduction studies done yet.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, the muscle atrophy and fasciculations would likely be due to the carpal tunnel syndrome. If there are no symptoms affecting muscles elsewhere on the body, then there is no reason to suspect another condition.

If there is muscle atrophy of the muscles of the thenar eminence, then there would be more impetus to be treating the carpal tunnel syndrome more aggressively. You do not say how it is being treated currently, but you should contact your doctor for consideration of additional treatment.